The history of Little Flower
Remembering those who came before us
We remember our rich tradition
A parish family rich in over 70 years of history.
Little Flower Church and School has been an integral part of West Pensacola since 1945. Located on the corner of 65th Ave and Lillian Highway, our parish family serves the families of Myrtle Grove. People are drawn to Little Flower because of the rich Catholic tradition, strong devotion to our patroness St. Therese of Lisieux, formation as missionary disciples of Christ.
Humble beginnings in 1945.
From our humble beginnings in 1945 — an old house and barn on the corner of two dirtroads — to our present location on the corner of Lillian Hwy. and 65th Ave, Little Flower Catholic Church and School has ministered to thousands throughout the years.
Moving forward with hope.
Since 1945, Little Flower Parish has brought thousands into relationship with Christ and His Church. We move forward with a sense of gratitude and hope, humbly asking the Holy Spirit to continue to guide us, that we may be a beacon of light in the darkness.
founding of the parish
In the beginning, The Most Rev. Thomas J. Toolen, D.D., Archbishop of Mobile, found a need for a parish in the Myrtle Grove community. In the year 1945, Little Flower Parish was started from a territory cut out of St. Stephen Parish. At that time, the church grounds were an open field with a house and barn. The building site was surrounded by farm lands at the intersection of two dirt roads. In 1946 the old house and barn were converted into a church and rectory by Rev. Fr. James E. Smith, Pastor. This was also the first year that students were accepted at the newly formed Little Flower Catholic School. In 1947 the building of a new school, convent and church structures was ordered by Archbishop Toolen. In 1948 a church and school building were converted from the old Army barracks on the property at the time under the leadership of Rev. Fr. Hinton A. Lipscomb, Pastor.
During the 1960’s Rev. Fr. Edward J. O’Connell, Pastor, brought numerous changes to the parish including the construction of the present day church. The new church was dedicated January 24, 1960 and our present day school and auditorium (cafeteria) was completed in December 1966. In 1967 the changes to the liturgy that resulted from the Second Vatican Council were implemented by Rev. Fr. Thomas W. Sadler, Pastor.
In 1975 a new parish hall was constructed by Rev. Fr. Hugh W. Dolan, Pastor. In 1976 the new parish hall was converted to classrooms and the blue and white stained glass was installed in the church.
In 1992 Rev. Msgr. C. Slade Crawford, Pastor, initiated plans to build a new rectory and the Mother Teresa Outreach building. A building and purchasing plan was developed which would eventually lead to the new building program that comprises our present day facilities.
In 2000 Rev. Fr. Martin D. Holley, Pastor, continued with the building program before being ordained Auxiliary Bishop of Washington, D.C. by Pope St. John Paul II. In 2004, Hurricanes Ivan and Dennis slowed the progress of the building program. Repairs were completed on the church and school roofs in 2005. Rev. Fr. Eugene Casserly, Pastor, led our parish through these hard times. In 2006 plans moved forward to construct the new Parish Hall and Office Center, which was completed in 2008.
Upon Fr. Casserly’s retirement in the summer of 2016, Rev. Fr. Matthew Worthen was appointed Administrator of the parish by the Most Rev. Gregory L. Parkes, Bishop of Pensacola–Tallahassee. Under Bishop Bill Wack, Fr. Matthew was made Pastor in January 2018.